WhatsApp Messenger allows you to send free text messages over the internet, saving you the cost of sending SMS.
What does WhatsApp do?
You can use WhatsApp Messenger to send messages over WiFi or 3G to anyone else with the app installed on their phone. The software works across mobile operating systems (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, etc.) so it will function with contacts who have other versions of WhatsApp Messenger installed.
WhatsApp Messenger gives you a number of other handy options aside from just sending text. You can attach a picture (taken from your camera or stored on your device), voice note, video, contact, and even your location. There's also an option to email your chat history.
WhatsApp Messenger has been optimized for BlackBerry 10 users, offering instant push notifications even when your screen is locked! It also scans contacts automatically so you have a list of exactly who you can contact through WhatsApp.
Is WhatsApp easy to use?
The setup procedure for WhatsApp Messenger is a bit fiddly and it can take a few minutes to get it up and running. Once set up, though, it's pretty easy to use. The chat window displays the history of the conversation in linear form. Just type and hit Send to post the message.
Yes, there is a catch!
The drawback with WhatsApp Messenger is that it only works if both people in the conversation have the app installed.
Overall though, WhatsApp Messenger makes for a handy way to chat for free on your BlackBerry.
- Pros +
- Free text messages to other WhatsApp users
- Send photos, videos, location, contacts and more
- Email chat history
- Cons -
- Tied to the WhatsApp protocol
- Tedious setup process
- English, Spanish, German, French, Chinese Simp, Chinese Trad, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
- File size:
- 331 KB
- WhatsApp Inc. | More programs (6)
- BlackBerry 4.7, BlackBerry 4.6, BlackBerry 5.0, BlackBerry 6.0, BlackBerry 7.0, BlackBerry 7.1, BlackBerry 10.0
- Communication Apps > SMS & IM
User rating:3 User reviews